MKO is seeking to recruit Community Liaison Officers to join the company’s Project Communications team. Reporting to the Project Communications Director, the successful candidate/s will be responsible for engaging and liaising with stakeholders to deliver key messages and establish a channel of communication prior to, and during the construction of client projects.
MKO’s Project Communications team tells the stories of projects to people that need to hear them. We specialise in community consultation, strategic communications, event and media management and political engagement on behalf of our clients working across renewable energy and other sectors.
The successful candidate/s will have excellent communication skills (including active listening skills), good writing and administrative skills and strong interpersonal skills. They will be personable, trustworthy, adaptable, and flexible to the requirements of the role; highly organised and able to prioritise and manage the various demands on their time.
The role is based in the MKO in Galway but will involve travel and work nationwide. The vacancy may suit a candidate with a communications background, looking for a new challenge and to further their career in an ever growing industry.
The key responsibilities associated with the role will be:
- Conducting research to create and implement bespoke strategies for successful community engagement
- Engaging and liaising with local communities, sporting organisations, businesses, and community groups to develop a two-way dialogue during the development phase of client projects
- Carrying out engagement services in line with client requirements, and within an agreed scope of work
- Establish, build, and maintain strong relationships with local communities and stakeholders, remaining available as a point of contact through the development of the project
- Detecting opportunities for meaningful collaboration
- Updating a Community Engagement Database
- Mapping potential detractors, advocates, and neutral neighbours
- Capturing concerns, comments and conducting agreed follow-up actions
- Generating progress reports on behalf of client and for planning submissions
- Explaining often technical, legal, and commercial matters in a clear, non-technical manner that the local community can relate to
- Participation in the delivery of innovative educational activities that will foster greater understanding of the benefits of the project
The successful candidate would be expected to demonstrate:
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline (e.g. renewables, project management, communications, business or environmental)
- More than 5 years professional work experience from an communications, community liaison, or project management background or related discipline
- An ability to proactively approach individuals, community groups, sporting organisations and businesses to discuss proposals and opportunities on behalf of our clients
- Exceptional communication and conversational skills, including conflict resolution, risk management, and managing complex issues
- An ability to work independently and within the Project Communications team
- Experience of managing and maintaining effective relationships with multiple key stakeholders
- An ability to collaborate with our clients, internal project managers and other professionals
- An ability to educate, share knowledge and generate interest in key concepts
- Report writing skills
- Access to their own vehicle – extensive travel will be required
- IT Skills – proficient in all MS Office applications
Desirable (but not essential) criteria include:
- An understanding of the planning and development process for large development projects
- Knowledge of renewable energy projects
- Media management and public affairs experience
- Event management skills
- Consultancy experience
An attractive salary will be offered to the successful candidate commensurate with their experience and ability to fulfil the responsibilities associated with the role. Due to anticipated high levels of interest, we kindly ask that no phone enquiries are made about the role.
Candidates interested in the available position should apply by emailing an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and cover letter/email to email@example.com