Building on MKO’s long standing relationship with the Galway Race Committee; we were appointed in June 2018 to provide Project Management services for the most significant redevelopment at Galway racecourse in many years; the Parade Ring and Eastern End Redevelopment project. This project represents phase 1 of the implementation of a long-term masterplan for the racecourse. It will deliver a number of new facilities and enhancements at Galway racecourse:
- New parade ring with covered viewing of pre & post race ceremonies
- New pre-parade ring & saddling boxes
- New premium restaurant; overlooking both the parade ring and the track
- New Owner’s & Trainer’s restaurant & Racecourse Annual member’s bar.
- Enhanced jockey welfare facilities
- New racecourse offices
The changes to the equine facilities and pre and post-race equine travel routes have required close consultation with a range of industry stakeholders to ensure that a top quality experience for the racing professionals, as well as Galway’s patrons, is assured.
Partial funding by Horse Racing Ireland in anticipated, so the project is being delivered in compliance with the Capital Works Management Framework and with public procurement regulations. The critical challenge in the project is ensuring that the works can be successfully delivered between summer festivals, and also accommodate the September and October racing programme. A detailed master programme has been developed, which implements specific risk mitigation strategies to help ensure achievement of the programme goals.
MKO are proving Project Management services for all stages of this prestigious development:
- Project Structure, delivery strategy and master programme (complete)
- Design team procurement & engagement (complete)
- Masterplan review and refinement (complete)
- Initial Design (in progress – March 2019)
- Statutory Consents
- Detailed Design and Tendering
- Construction & Handover
- Project close-out