Pre-draft sustainable and compact settlement guidelines for planning authorities (August 2023)
The Draft Guidelines set out policy and guidance in relation to the planning and development of urban and rural settlements in Ireland, with a focus on residential development and the creation of sustainable and compact settlements. Members of the public are invited to make a submission or observation regarding the draft guidelines; the SEA Environmental Report and Non-Technical Summary; and Natura Impact Statement and other relevant consultation documents, during the period from Thursday 31st August 2023 to 5 pm on Thursday 5th October 2023. Submissions or observations in relation to the draft guidelines and the SEA Environmental Report and Non-Technical Summary can be made either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to: Sustainable and Compact Settlements Guidelines Consultation National, Regional and Urban Planning Section Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage Custom House Dublin 1 D01 W6X0. These submissions and observations will be taken into consideration before the finalisation of the draft guidelines.
The Draft Sustainable and Compact Settlement Guidelines for Planning Authorities (August 2023) are now available to read.
National planning framework review
A Report was released providing a First Revision of the National Planning Framework, which includes recommendations made by an Expert Group. The Report provides a very brief overview with an overarching view that ‘the foundational principles in NPF, 2018 remain strong and highly relevant’. Though the foundational elements are anticipated to be maintained it is stated that there is an urgency for ‘good spatial planning’ which is considered ‘essential at a time when Ireland faces significant demographic changes, when environmental and climate issues take on new prominence, and when major economic and social changes emerge across the globe’.
Updates to the current National Planning Framework are expected to include:
- More ambitious and more clearly defined targets;
- Clarification and strengthening of the roles of the bodies involved in implementation, with particular reference to the Metropolitan Area Strategic Plans;
- Mechanisms to provide for detailed measurement and monitoring of progress;
- Increased coordination at government level across all infrastructure projects; and
- New efforts to generate broader support for national spatial planning.
Draft County Donegal Development Plan 2024-2030
Donegal County Council has prepared a Draft County Donegal Development Plan 2024-2030. You can make a written submission on the Draft Plan between the 4th of August and the 13th of October 2023 (both dates inclusive):
- Online: By clicking on the make a submission button
- By email: email@example.com (Please insert ‘Donegal Dev Plan’ in subject line)
- By post: Central Planning Unit, Donegal County Council, County House, Lifford
Draft Patrickswell Local Area Plan 2024 – 2030
Limerick City and County Council has prepared a Draft Local Area Plan (LAP) for Patrickswell. Submissions or Observations may be made in respect of the Draft Patrickswell Local Area Plan and associated Environmental Reports from 2nd September to 16th October inclusive. Submissions or Observations may be made as follows:
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- In writing to Forward Planning, Planning, Environment and Place – Making Directorate, Limerick City and County Council, Merchants Quay, Limerick
Draft Westport Local Area Plan (LAP) 2023-2029
Mayo County Council has prepared a Draft Local Area Plan (LAP) for Westport. A Public Consultation drop – in session on the Draft LAP will be held on Monday, 23rd October 2023 from 4:00 pm to 7:30pm in Westport Town Hall Theatre, The Octagon, Westport, Co. Mayo, F28 R240. Submissions or Observations must be received between: 26th September 2023 and by 4:00pm on 7th November 2023. Submissions or Observations may be made as follows:
- By post to: Draft Westport Local Area Plan, Planning Section, Mayo County Council, Aras an Chontae, The Mall, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, F23 WF90
Kiltiernan/Glenamuck Local Area Plan – Pre-Draft Consultation
Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council intends to prepare a new Local Area Plan for the Kiltiernan/Glenamuck area. The Local Authority is now engaging in the Pre-Draft public consultation stage. A Pre-Draft Issues Paper has been prepared and can be viewed online.
Submissions must be made within the display period, which runs from 12th September 2023 to 17th October 2023. Please make submissions in one of the following ways:
- Online: On the Council’s website homepage under ‘Public consultation hub’
- By post to: Senior Executive Officer, Planning Department, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, County Hall, Marine Road, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin A96K6C9
Kenmare Municipal District Draft Local Area Plan (LAP)
Kerry County Council has produced a Draft Local Area Plan (LAP) for the Kenmare Municipal District. The new Kenmare Municipal District LAP will replace the existing West Iveragh LAP 2019-2025, the Killorglin Functional Area LAP 2010-2016, the Kenmare Functional Area LAP 2010-2016, and the Cahersiveen, Waterville & Sneem Functional Areas LAP 2013-2019. Submissions may be made during the period from Thursday 31st August until 3rd November 2023.
Submissions can be made on the dedicated website or In writing to: Damien Ginty, Senior Planner, Planning Policy Unit, Kerry County Council, Rathass, Tralee, Co. Kerry, V92H7VT. Submissions in writing are to be clearly marked with ‘Draft Kenmare Municipal District Local Area Plan’.
Portarlington Joint Local Area Plan 2024-2030
Laois and Offaly County Councils intend to prepare a Draft Joint Local Area Plan for Portarlington and are now engaging in pre-draft consultation. The public consultation will take place from Thursday September 21st until 5.00pm on Thursday October 19th 2023 inclusive. Planning Consultation Issues Paper which can be viewed on the Councils websites. Submissions and observations can be made as follows:
- Through the relevant consultation portal(s)
- By email to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- In writing marked “Portarlington Joint Local Area Plan Review” and sent to the following relevant address: Offaly County Council, Senior Planner, Áras an Chontae, Charleville Road, Tullamore, Co. Offaly/Laois County Council, Senior Planner, Áras an Chontae, James Fintan Lalor Ave, Portlaoise, Co. Laois.